You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
How To Get A CDL
What you must do to get YOUR CDL. Requirements, Procedures, Fees, Training, FMCSA Rules etc.
IN YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCE
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver's license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
How to obtain a Commercial Driver's License
- The first step is to get a free copy of your state's CDL Manual - CDL Handbook. The manual is available in their field locations, downloaded from their website and printed. Each state has its own processes to getting the CDL.
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the license for.
- There are 3 classes of CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of CDL and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license. Go to CDL Classifications and Endorsement Codes for complete details.
Step 1: Get the Commercial Learners Permit (CLP)
Step 2: Get the Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in your state of residence.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A CDL TIP is also required for taking the CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your CDL fees.
- Schedule your CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the DMV office.
- Receive your CDL.
Do I need a CDL?
What Class of CDL do I need?
What CDL endorsements do I need?
Are YOU ready to get YOUR CDL?
Prepare for YOUR CDL Tests NOW . . .
- Covers ALL Eight CDL written tests.
- Covers ALL Three CDL skills tests.
- 670 practice CDL test questions with actual answers.
- Access to CDL videos
- CDL study guide in both text and audio
- CDL study Quick Reviews
- Interactive online CDL Quizzes
- and Much more!